Wednesday 21 November 2012

Guilty pleasures

When it comes to what I wear, I do push it a bit sometimes.

I'm a true believer in "if you're confident enough, anything looks good"... but on more than one occasion my housemates have ripped me to shreds for wearing pink Timberland boots and a cord patchwork shirt.
Yes. I have these.. Don't judge me.
There is something exhilarating about wearing something hideous.
It's a challenge as to whether you can actually make it look cool or not.

I like the idea of someone looking at my Timberland boots and thinking "Good God those are brave." All attention is good attention. What we wear says a lot about who we are - it tells whoever glances your way if you're a conformist or a boundary-pusher. Or just downright mental.

My guilty pleasures get me stick, yes. But I still can't help but love them. I'm a SUCKER for velvet. My sister bought a black velvet shirt from our local Salvation Army for 50p and I genuinely considered stealing it and taking it back to Uni with me. Am I a bad person?


Another guilty pleasure of mine is furry things.
I wouldn't go as far as to wear furry space boots (although I did bloody love them in year 6) but I definitely am all over the fur collar coats that are so on-trend this winter.
Look at this jacket. Om nom nom.
I like to wear something completely weird - because weird gets noticed. And surely that is better than just being another boring pawn in Urban Outfitters' evil game!

No comments:

Post a Comment