Monday 8 October 2012

Munrow Rant

For me - going to the gym is a chore. It's something I do to keep myself healthy. And when I leave, I expect to depart with a sweaty crotch and my mouth feeling like I've been licking a roll of Bounty for an hour.

Anyone who attends the gym knows that there are certain rules of etiquette that one is expected to follow - such as: Wiping stuff down if you've sweated all over it; not hogging popular machinery; keeping your increasingly moist upper lip under control... You get the gist. And at the Munrow, these unwritten codes are more apt than anywhere else because it is likely that you will bump into someone you know/have had an awkward night with during Freshers.
 
 

Appearance at the gym is a big deal. Countless times, I have witnessed some truly dreadful gym couture on both male and female members. It is my belief that when you go to the gym, you need to be practical and comfortable.

Firstly, some of the boys who strut around the Free Weights room can be quite astounding. I am not lying when I say I have seen several string vests. Please guys - this is not a Nipple Pageant, and surely your nips must be chafing?!

Secondly, I don't understand why girls insist on wearing their hair down at the gym.
I cannot see how they can effectively work out with their hair flapping around in their face. I opt for a far more practical 'Mulan Bun' which leaves me with a shocking resemblance to Mrs. Trunchball from Matilda. Granted, it isn't a great look, but I never have to pick my hair out of my cotton mouth.

And don't get me started on Sports Bras. Only last week I saw a girl wearing a horrendous, nude M&S bra that her mum had clearly bought her in year 8. Firstly, the bra didn't fit, and she has armpit fat hanging freely. Secondly, she was wearing one of those vests that are in at the minute - you know the ones with the big gaping arm holes? You get the picture. It looked awful.

Now, I may sound like a bitch. But the gym isn't a sodding fashion show. We go to the gym with a dream of leaving it looking like a supermodel - we shouldn't go in there pretending to already be one.

2 comments:

  1. This is true for lacrosse fitness sessions, all dressed sensibly sweating our tits off, after body killing circuits and in trounce the cheerleaders. I ask you?! it's as if they've never heard that age old saying, "why the flying fish are you wearing a push up bra under your sports bra?!" tsk some people x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harsh to mention Tom Riddell, string vests are practical if anything.

    ReplyDelete